Perkins leaves, reflects on time at UC

Samuel Northrup, Editor in Chief

Robert Perkins left his post at Utica College as dean of students and campus life on Friday Sept. 15 to take a position as interim dean of students at Marlboro College in Vermont. Perkins was with UC for over a year and a half.

Perkins is no stranger to academic administration after taking an early retirement as vice president for student affairs and dean of students at Keystone College in Scranton, Pennsylvania before being given a consulting contract at UC in January 2015. After a month at UC, he accepted a new offer to stay on permanently as the dean of students and campus life.

“I was excited by the quality of the student affairs staff and the opportunity to assist the college in expanding its programs and services for students,” Perkins said of his decision to stay at UC full time.

While Perkins has started his new position at Marlboro College, his original plan was to retire this December before he was approached by the higher education to take the interim dean of students position. Marlboro’s location is more convenient for Perkins as it is close to his permanent home in Massachusetts.

“While I have mixed feelings about leaving early, I have completed the work that I was hired to do and have great confidence in the Student Affairs staff to keep up the great work that has been accomplished,” he said.

Halina Lotyczewski, director of career services, will serve as interim dean of students and campus life while the search for a full-time replacement for Perkins is conducted, per a memo sent to faculty and staff by Senior Vice President for Student Life and Enrollment Management Jeffery Gates.

Perkins’ advice to his successor is to appreciate the members of their staff and the UC community.

“Get to know the students and UC’s campus culture,” he said. “And enjoy the very creative and competent staff that you have the privilege of working with.”