When you wish upon a cure

Source%3A+graytvinc.com

Source: graytvinc.com

CAC hopes to raise 30k at Relay for Life

Jaime Evanoff, Staff Writer

College’s Against Cancer is set to raise thousands of dollars for the American Cancer Society as teams walk for 12 hours, starting at 6:00 p.m. on April 7 and concluding at 6:00 a.m. on April 8 at their annual event, Relay for Life. This is the third year Utica College will be hosting Relay for Life and CAC is hoping to raise more than $30,000.

Relay for Life is for everyone and anyone that has been affected by cancer in any capacity. It allows people from all walks of life to come together and know that no matter who they are or where they come from, we’re all connected by our desire to put an end to cancer. The walk provides a way for participants to mourn, reflect and celebrate those affected.

“It’s important because everyone has been touched by cancer, either directly or indirectly,” President of CAC Taylor Raga said. “I lost my grandmother to cancer so I know how horrible it is to lose someone to this disease. My mother is a cancer survivor so I know how hard these patients fight during the course of their treatment and how great it feels when the doctor finally says the cancer is gone.”

The idea of having an overnight event comes from the notion that cancer doesn’t sleep, so neither will those looking to treat it. CAC has planned ceremonies, entertainment acts, speakers and music to run throughout the evening, which are meant to encourage attendees and remind them that they aren’t alone.

The theme chosen for this year is Disney and the slogan for this year’s event is “When you wish upon a cure.” Members of the CAC are encouraging teams to claim a favorite Disney movie, favorite Disney TV show, favorite Disney park and decorate their campsites at the event. Participants are also encouraged to dress up in their best character attire.

CAC is encouraging students, faculty, staff and community members to get involved in whatever capacity is possible for them. Some organizations, fraternities, sororities and athletic teams have already signed up for the event and are raising money. The money raised from Relay for Life helps provide funding for research grants, transportation for patients to get treatment, lodging for patients and their families and funding the 24/7 helpline.

“Sometimes people think that they can’t make a difference because they’re just one person,” Raga said. “Being a part of Relay for Life truly means being part of something that’s bigger than just you. Every dollar raised helps. It’s all making a difference in someone’s life.”

If you are looking to be a part of Relay for Life, it’s not too late to sign up. Register online at RelayForLife.org/UticaCollegeNY.

College’s Against Cancer is also always looking for new members. Meetings take place Wednesday at 6:30 p.m. in Boehlert Conference Room. If you looking for more information, please e-mail Taylor Raga at [email protected].