Textbook prices add to financial hardship

Erik Lyndaker, Staff Writer

As most students are aware every semester finding books for the best price is a process, which can be a very irritating process. Many students use a variety of websites to compare prices between websites and the Utica College bookstore. This seems to be the common trend, but each student has a different way of finding the cheapest textbooks.

With the prices of books being so high, some students will wait until they are certain they need that specific textbook for the class before they purchase the book. Utica College junior Melissa Koch states, “I spent over $400 on books my freshmen year and didn’t use half of them.”

“After that semester I always wait until after the first week to order my books,” Koch said.

The prices of these textbooks are forcing students to make these decisions, which ultimately leads to more stress than anything.

Junior Casey Jones said he uses websites like Chegg and Amazon before he decides whether he will be purchasing from the bookstore or an external website.

“I’ve saved hundreds of dollars by ordering my books online because of how high the books are marked up in the bookstore,” Jones said.

The worst part about students having to spend all this money on books is when they sell them back at the end of the semester they receive less money than what they paid for the books to start. This is a big problem for students who try to use the money from selling their books to buy more the following semester. It seems to be a never-ending money grab on students, who typically do not have much money to spare to begin with.

According to NBCnews.com, students set aside up to $1200 for books and supplies. NBC also claims that out of the 5,000 students surveyed, one-third use financial aid money to buy textbooks and of these students they use an average of $300 of loan money for texts. NBC also brings attention to the fact that five publishing companies control 80 percent of the market. According to NBC the lack of competition in the textbook industry is one of the reasons the prices are so high.